Scotland’s love affair with its coast goes back thousands of years – and it has a lot of coastline to choose from! Discover the beautiful villages of the Kingdom of Fife on this one-day tour, perfect for photographers, food lovers and secret (or not-so-secret!) history buffs.
We will explore hidden gems on our way, learning why this land was once known to be “fringed with gold”, before strolling through the streets of the ancient university town of St Andrews. Look out for famous visitors – not all of them are here for the golf!
With an abundance of fine farming land and coastline, Fife is rightly renowned for its food and drink. Sample some of its most special produce, from seafood to soft fruits – and ice cream fit for a Prince!
As all tours are bespoke, we have options to explore further north through the vibrant and rejuvenated port of Dundee and into the county of Angus, the “Birthplace of Scotland” and childhood home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother at Glamis Castle. Or if Kings are your thing, how about a visit to Dunfermline Abbey, and a tour of the pretty conservation village of Culross, famed for its role in a certain TV series… (Outlander!)
Alternatively why not extend this to a full 2 day tour, and we can fit it all in!
Your own experienced driver-guide with vehicle for the duration of your trip.
Walking tours where listed (including historical, cultural, town & coastal hikes)
Any accommodation (if you choose to extend this to a 2+ day tour). We will discuss this with you and provide recommendations, but it is your responsibility to book all accommodation yourselves before the tour can be confirmed.
All food & drink unless specifically specified as an inclusion.
Admission fees to suggested attractions – these can be included within pricing on request, but we usually keep them out in case you change your mind and just want to put your feet up.
Optional adventure activities where arranged through our trusted, brilliant and fun local suppliers. Again, we can include these within pricing on request, but we usually keep them out unless we specifically have to confirm your participation with the adventure providers a certain number of days, weeks or months in advance (they are so brilliant that they can often get booked up early!)
Fife Coast Tour - Full day options plus extensions
The Kingdom of Fife is blessed with a stunningly pretty coastline which has defined both its own history and the story of Scotland for thousands of years.
We set off this morning from the iconic capital city of Edinburgh, soon crossing the Firth of Forth with its famous bridges, and into the “glorious Kingdom of Fife”.
As all tours are bespoke, we will discuss with you in advance your particular interests and tailor the day especially for you.
As an idea of some of what your day has to offer, here are some initial possibilities:
- Take a photo (and coffee!) stop in the historic village of South Queensferry, right under the iconic Victorian engineering masterpiece of the Forth Rail Bridge, yet another of Scotland’s UNESCO designated World Heritage Sites.
- Wending our way along Fife’s stunning coastline, visit its picture-postcard fishing villages. Sleepy now, learn about their busy trading pasts and how they lent their name to the land “fringed with gold”.
- Stroll through the streets of the ancient university town of St Andrews, learning the quirky story behind the origins of Scotland’s patron saint, and the more gruesome stories behind Scotland’s 16th Century Reformation.
- Take a tour around the spectacular ruins of St Andrews Cathedral and Castle, and get the heart pumping whilst counting the steps inside St Rule’s Tower.
- Discover the legends behind the “Home of Golf” and learn more of its key characters, including Old and Young Tom Morris.
- Stretch your legs with a gentle guided hike along the Fife Coastal Path or one of its many beaches, learning about the various flora and fauna on the way.
- Fall in love with the fictional village of Cranesmuir, from the Outlander TV series – otherwise known as the real conservation village of Culross. Find Geillis Duncan’s house before exploring the beautiful gardens of Culross Palace.
- Or explore further north through the vibrant and rejuvenated port of Dundee and into the county of Angus, the “Birthplace of Scotland” and childhood home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother at fairytale Glamis Castle.
- With an abundance of fine farming land and coastline, Fife and Angus are both rightly renowned for their food and drink. Sample some of their most special produce, from seafood to soft fruits – and ice cream fit for a Prince!
- For a more in depth introduction to some of Scotland’s finest food and drink producers, speak to us about our special Food and Drink Experiences – really get behind the scenes of Scotland’s extraordinary natural larder.
There is so much to explore that you will be spoilt for choice! In fact, why not extend this to a 2 day tour so that you can fit it all in?
We will discuss your interests and priorities at the time of booking and promise that, whether this is a first-time introduction to this beautiful area of Scotland, or an in depth exploration, you will want to come back for more!